The Hendricks PFR-3 kit arrived in the mail yesterday. That was about 1 week from order to delivery, which is great.
I did the initial sorting of parts this evening (similar looking things go together). I’ll do a thorough inventory and get started with the build. Hopefully I can dedicate a little time each evening and get it done.
Imagine my surprise yesterday when I opened the mailbox and found a mailer with my new PFR-3 BBW kit. Very well packaged, including a CD with very thorough instructions and plenty of pictures. I’ll start assembly tomorrow and will post an article here under projects with the full build instructions.
I’ve built some small kits over the last couple of years. Mainly some APRS trackers and interface projects. After Randy (K4QO) gave a talk on operating QRP at a Trident Amateur Radio Club meeting, I’ve been wanting to build a larger kit.
I had been debating an Elecraft KX1 but hadn’t wanted to spend the nearly $500 for the kit with options. Yet I wanted to build something more than just a single frequency Tun Tin style kit. I had almost settled on group of kits from the Maine QRP Club (www.qrpme.com) until Tom (NA4U) showed his PFR-3 mid-build at a TARC meeting.
I did a bit more research and finally settled on the Hendricks PFR-3. Only problem was, they were closed for the summer due to some health related commitments (read their web site). So, I waited… And after several weeks of waiting, ordered my PFR-3 kit on Friday, Sep 11.
I opted for the Baby Black Widow key instead of the paddles made by Hendricks. I ordered it at the same time.
This’ll be the first in a series of posts documenting the build of both items. More to come when the kits arrive.